Here are some important details to keep in mind if you are ever in an accident.
- Call the police or emergency services as soon as possible, especially if someone is hurt.
- Never move someone who’s been injured unless it’s absolutely necessary for that person’s safety.
Moving an injured person can injure them even more. Wait for emergency personnel to arrive.
- Never leave the scene of an accident.
- If you can, and conditions are safe, move your vehicle off the road.
- Be sure to exchange your name, address, driver’s license and vehicle registration numbers, and insurance information with all of the drivers and property owners involved.
- If a parked vehicle or property has been damaged, many states require that you try to locate the owner, report the accident and notify local police.