Stay safe on the road!
Follow these simple and sometimes life saving tips to keep you safe during your travels.
- Use GPS or check your map before you leave. Know where you are going and how to get there. It’s always a good idea to appoint a navigator for your trip.
- Look in your backseat before getting in your car.
- Review the contents in your vehicle before leaving the area.
- When driving, keep a full tank of gas and stay on well-lighted and well-traveled roads.
- Keep your safety belts on, doors locked and windows up.
- Try to stay on main roads and highways.
- If someone motions that your tire is flat or your car is smoking, don’t stop until he or she is gone. Try to get to a service station or populated area.
- If your car is bumped by another, don’t immediately jump out and check for damage. Watch the other driver. If you are uncomfortable, motion for him or her to drive to a more public place, a police or fire station.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- Park close to your destinations, preferable on a well-lighted street or area.
- Look around before getting out of your car.
- Always yield the right of way to the train. The train cannot yield to you.
- Never ignore active warnings at crossings.
- When getting gas, keep your doors locked and valuables in the car.
- Carry an RFID protected wallet.